- The priority seating area is located inside near the front door. These seats are reserved for seniors and people with disabilities.
- There is a securement area on board with room for two mobility devices.
- Major stops and transfer points are announced automatically over the speaker system and displayed on a reader board near the operator. You can also ask the operator to announce when the bus is approaching your stop.
- The reader board near the operator displays when a stop has been requested.
Travel Training is a free instructional program designed to help anyone needing to learn how to use Cherriots services, including seniors and people with disabilities. Help is provided with trip planning and route guidance.
Taking your mobility device on the bus is easier than you think. Each driver is trained to assist you in securing your mobility device. Here are a few simple rules to follow when riding with your mobile device:
- Wait in View: Wait in the middle of the bus stop where the driver can see you clearly. If you need to use the ramp or lift and the driver has not already deployed it, just ask.
- Find Priority Seating & Securing Areas: Once on board, look for the priority seating area near the front of the bus. Two secure seating areas are provided for mobility devices. The operator will secure your mobility device.
- Request a Stop: To alert the driver of your stop, simply press the marked signal strip, which will alert the driver the lift has been requested. This ensures the operator will stop in a location that is suitable for mobility devices.
- Exit the Bus: When the bus stops, the operator will remove the securement straps from your mobility device and deploy the ramp or lift for you.
View the Video
How-to-Ride with a Mobility Device
Your service animal is always welcome on the bus. While no permit is required, you may be asked if your animal is a service animal and what service the animal provides. Your animal must:
- Remain under your control at all times.
- Behave appropriately at all times.
- Remain at your feet or on your lap. Animals may not sit on the seat.
- Not be aggressive toward people or other animals.
- Be housebroken.
You are responsible for any damage or soiling caused by your animal.
For any questions about bringing your service animal on the bus, please call us at 503-588-2877.
Reduced Fare ID
The Cherriots Reduced Fare ID is a card that allows you to purchase bus fares at the reduced rate. Reduced Fare IDs can be either permanent or temporary.
Cherriots Shop and Ride, Cherriots LIFT
- Cherriots Shop and Ride is a shopper shuttle and dial-a-ride service available for seniors and people with disabilities. No application is required.
- Cherriots LIFT is an origin-to-destination transportation service for people whose disability prevents them from using the Cherriots buses.
Requests for modifications to Cherriots policies, practices or procedures to accommodate an individual with a disability:
Cherriots is committed to providing safe, reliable, courteous, accessible and user-friendly services to our customers. To ensure equality and fairness, Cherriots is committed to making reasonable modifications to its policies, practices and procedures to avoid discrimination and ensure programs and services are accessible to individuals with disabilities.
- not constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of others
- be necessary for the individual in question to have full access to transit service
- not constitute an undue administrative and financial burden
- not fundamentally alter the existing service that is provided
When feasible, a request for modification to Cherriots service should be made in advance before Cherriots is expected to provide the service. For more information regarding reasonable modifications and to see examples of acceptable reasonable modifications, see the Department of Transportation’s Final Rule on the topic.
To request a modification, fill out the request for accommodation form, and email or mail it to:
555 Court Street NE, Suite 5230
Salem, OR 97301
503-588-2424 ext. 7588