To find out if your route is currently on snow or ice detour, visit the Service Alerts page.
In the event of snow or ice, Cherriots Local and Cherriots Regional buses may be on snow detours. When a snow detour is in effect, buses will not be able to serve some stops on the route.
During severe weather, including heavy rain and wind, conditions can change rapidly, and buses may run late or make unexpected detours. Although extreme weather can affect any route, the routes that are usually affected by snow and ice are Routes 6, 8, 16, 18, 20X, 26, 27, and 30X due to the hilly areas these routes serve.
Bus stops that are most often affected are below, but always check the Service Alerts page for route/stop specifics.
All bus stops along Barnes, Baxter, Battle Creek and Reed Lane, as well as Commercial @ Baxter and Commercial @ Fabry.
Routes 8 and 18
All bus stops along Davis, Red Leaf, and Summercrest, as well as on Skyline south of Kuebler.
All bus stops along Orchard View, Linwood, Riverbend, Wintergreen, Brush College, Doaks Ferry, and Orchard Heights.
Center @ Fairview (Silverton Hospital): if buses are not able to travel the Center Street hill in Silverton, a temporary stop will usually be placed at Rite Aid on the corner of McClaine Street and West C Street.
All bus stops along Glen Creek, Titan, and Orchard Heights.
All bus stops along Glen Creek, Burley Hill, Eola, and Gehlar.
All bus stops east of Stayton. (The bus will wait at the Stayton Park and Ride after serving the other Stayton stops during the time it would have traveled to Gates and back.)
If you use these bus stops, it’s especially important to make a plan in advance: walk to the next closest bus stop, arrange other transportation options on snow days, or if possible, arrange to work remotely.
Partner Service Advisories
Cherriots Local and Cherriots Regional both partner with area transit agencies to offer connections throughout the Mid-Willamette Valley. During inclement weather, please check our partner websites for service advisories affecting their routes:
Other Helpful Tips
- Check the Service Alerts page for the most up-to-date information before heading to your bus stop.
- When the bus is approaching, be sure to stand near the bus stop. A blinking light, flashlight, or the glow from your cell phone screen can help the bus driver see you in bad weather or at night.
- Dress for the weather in case your bus is running late. Due to slower travel speeds, your bus may be behind schedule.
- Buses will not stop where standing water, ice, or snow drifts make a stop unsafe or inaccessible. If you encounter these conditions at your stop, plan to use the next available stop on the route.
- Cherriots LIFT and Cherriots Dial-a-Ride will run during snowy and icy conditions, but some areas, particularly hilly or hazardous portions of south and west Salem, simply can't be reached. Service updates for Cherriots LIFT and Cherriots Dial-a-Ride will be posted on the Service Alerts page if weather is affecting service. You can also call the Cherriots call center at 503-315-5544 to see if your trip will be affected by the weather, but please be aware you may be on hold longer than usual due to high call volume during weather events.